JOIN US
Wanted Content Developers, Reporters/Photographers (All Part-time) Call 8547 8547 87

Trivandrum Events

TRIVANDRUM SHOPPING & LIFESTYLE

More Shopping >>

TRIVANDRUM SERVICES

More Services >>

Friday, February 19, 2010

Christ Church Trivandrum CSI churches in Trivandrum

Christ Church is one of the oldest CSI Congregations in Trivandrum city,it consists of about thousand families and we have got three worship services-English,Malayalam,Tamil on every Sunday. Regular divine services are conducted on all sundays in three languages.

Time of Worship / Services

1st Sunday: 6.15 a.m
7.30 a.m
9.30 a.m Holy Communion service in Tamil
Holy Communion service in English
Holy Communion service in Malayalam
2nd Sunday: 6.15 a.m
7.30 a.m
9.30 a.m
7.00 a.m Matins in Tamil
Holy Communion service in English
Matins in Malayalam
Holy Communion service in Malayalam at Zion Hall,Nanthencode
3rd Sunday: 6.15 a.m
7.30 a.m
9.30 a.m Matins in Tamil
Holy Communion service in English
Holy Communion service in Malayalam
4th Sunday: 6.15 a.m
7.30 a.m
9.30 a.m
7.00 a.m
Matins in Tamil
Matins in English
Holy Communion service in Malayalam
Holy Communion service in Malayalam at Zion Hall,Nanthencode
5th Sunday: 6.15 a.m
7.30 a.m
9.30 a.m Matins in Tamil
Holy Communion service in English
Holy Communion service in Malayalam



All the Tamil services are matins except first sundays in every month. First sunday service is Holy Communion service.

Matins are held only once in every month both in English and Malayalam. All other Divine services are Holy Communion services. Matins in English is held on Fourth Sunday and Matins in Malayalam on Second sunday every month. Holy Communion services are held on every Friday morning at 7.30 AM. Special sunday services dedicated to Womens Fellowship,Youth Movement, Sunday school, Golden Age Fellowship, Young Couple's Fellowship etc as per the Diocesan programs are observed by us.


History

The history of Christ Church,Trivandrum goes back to the year 1817. Divine services for the European residents started in 1817. At that time services were conducted once a month by the Military Chaplins of Quilon as per the instructions from the Madras Government. In 1837 a Tamil congregation consisting of employees of the Government Printing press and those working in the homes of Europeans stationed in Trivandrum was formed under the leadership of Mr Christian David, a clerk in the Government press. They met regularly for divine services at the residence of Mr David , while the English congregation met for their worship at the Residency. The need for a permanent place for worship was keenly felt by the members of the two congregations. The Travancore Government was pleased to donate a plot of Land for the construction of a Church building, and on the 13th of December 1858 General Cullen the Resident, laid the foundation stone of the church building in the presence of a distinguished gathering which included the Yuva Raja of Travancore. Bishop Dealtry of Madras consecrated the church on Nov 15, 1859.
In 1876 a Malayalam service was started for the large number of malayalam speaking christians of the town. In 1887 the Indian congregation celebrated its Jubilee, and ' The Trivandrum Indian clergyman's fund ' was started to provide for the salary of an Indian pastor. The Rev P.O Mathen was the first indian pastor of the church.
There were two seperate committees, one for the English section and the other for the Indian section of the church. At the time of Rev Leslie Brown a joint committee was constituted for all the three congregations Tamil, Malayalam and English. A constitution incorporating the new provisions was drawn up and got passed in the general meetings of the European and Indian sections.
In 1947, the question of the Christ Church joining the Church of South India came up. In 1948 it was agreed to accept an interim measure the Metropolitan's proposal to permit the Bishop of Travancore - Cochin Diocese to excercise the episcopal functions in the parish including the appointment of clergy . The Synod of the CSI in its meeting in 1956 resolved to hand over Christ Church to the CSI and from 1956 Christ Church is regarded as a congregation of the CSI under the jurisdicition of the Bishop of Central Travancore and be part of the Central Travancore Diocese (present Madhya Kerala Diocese) until the CSI with the consent of the congregation makes other arrangments.

No comments:

Copyright 2004-2017 Trivandrum.co.in email: trivandrum.co.in@gmail.com

About us | Contact us | Advertise | Work with us | Submit Information